Saturday dawned clear and sunny, with a forecast that promised an 8-12kt breeze from the W/SW. It would have been nice if the breeze had turned up in the bay, and for a while we thought there would be no races at all, but eventually a light zephyr arrived from the N/NE and all classes set off on short courses.
After a while the courses were shortened further. The Class 1 boats all managed to finish while some of the Class 2s completed a shortened, shortened course. Unfortunately the Nobbys, Gaffers and Classics just didn’t get enough wind to get moving so their race had to eventually be cancelled.
Meanwhile in the river, there was a gentle N/NW force 2, which was enough for the CODs and small cruiser class to get going on course 7. The CODs completed a lap and a half, while Scooby completed a lap.
After the slow day on Saturday, the breeze finally arrived on the Sunday, both in the river and out in the bay, providing between 5 and 15 kts from the SW. The classes in the river completed two races, all classes got some good, close and competitive racing and at one point there were even rumours of protest hearings!
Hopefully most had fun on the water, if a little frustrating until the wind arrived, but at least the weather was gorgeous with blue skies and warm sunshine.
We have also set up a picture gallery here that you can all contribute your photos to if you wish. Please feel free to add any of your own photos from the racing or upcoming LA-LA Rally.
The festival committee would like to take this opportunity to thank the following:
- Our sponsors Quay Marinas, Lakeland Leisure Estates, The Quay Hotel, The Conwy Council, Mostyn Estates, Buckley’s Mobile Crane Service, Roland Young Haulage, Robinson’s Brewery, Riverside Business Park and Parisella’s of Conwy.
- Dave Rowlands & John Fothergill, race officers for the cruisers.
- Richard Stagg & Pam MacDonald, race officers for small cruisers and CODs.
- The Conwy Harbour team.
- Bob Grace for the use of his boat, Rovin, as committee boat.
- Pat Sale, Harry and Carrie Thompson and Alan Courtney for organising the evening event at the NWCC.
- Vic Edwards and all who helped in the galley at CYC.
- Becky and Elaine, behind the bar at CYC and NWCC.
- And finally a big thank you from Steve Gorst, CRF Chairman, to the members of the CRF committee for the time and effort they have put in and the level of commitment they have shown.
Here is a selection of some of the photos from the weekend:
Racing in the Bay
Racing in the Harbour
Thank you to Roger Millward for the excellent photography.